Monday, December 20, 2010

Practice Debate Tournament

This year I learned how to debate and we had the practice tournament the weekend after the First Lego League Regionals Tournament...December 11th. Everybody who signed up got to debate four times. The first round I was able to debate my friend, which was exactly what I wanted, and we also had a great judge! This round was not really how a real round was like. One because we had a new timer and needed a bit of assistance so we ended up with a bit more time than what we're actually supposed to have (with the prep time) and two because we were having too much fun!! This round, though, gave us a feel of what a round was like. The second round I did OK. My opponent's value for me was a bit difficult to argue...especially since I had no idea what it was! The third round I was up against someone who has done this kind of stuff before and then the fourth round I was up against a guy who had democracy as his value. I actually didn't do so great, but somehow I ended up winning the round....
So I won half of the debates I debated. The rounds I won I was the negative speaker. I didn't really care what I won and what I didn't. I had a blast! It was so much fun...I don't know why, but it kind of became addicting!

By Bethany Colglazier

2 comments:

hope2kidz said...

Bethany, I am so proud of you for doing the HARD WORK of learning how to debate. This skill will serve you well in so many ways,no matter where God leads you in life... He will use you to persuasively make a case for HIM! Continue the process of developing and refining your communication skills and you will undoubtedly reap many rewards for doing so. I loved having you in my class this semester and I'm very glad you enjoyed your first debate tournament.
Love Ya,
Mrs. Gray

Bethany said...

Thanks!! I enjoyed it very, very, very much!! :)