Sunday, August 7, 2011

Philmont Adventure - Day 12 - Cimarroncito



Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Got up at 6:00 AM before the crew got up at 6:30 AM. Did my laundry. Slightly late for breakfast. Rock climbing. All climbed up and rappelled down. There was a race to see who could climb up the fastest. Chris won and got a Snack Pack. Back to camp for lunch. Took a side hike to the Hunting Lodge and Window Rock. The Hunting Lodge was interesting in terms of construction and items in it. The tour itself was a bit long and hot. Getting up to Window Rock was very slow as Carl was really struggling. The view from the top rewarded our efforts. You could see the Tooth of Time Ridge, the Philmont Training Center, and I believe Baldy Mountain. Keegan led a very good devotional while we were up there. I was very impressed hearing how the Philmont experience had drawn everyone closer to God. Had a talk with Carl about his pace and dealing with adversity. I told him we would need to send him to base camp if he could not pick up his pace, that I would have to go with him, and that I did not want to go. Carl flew so fast back to camp that I had a difficult time keeping up with him. Got back and took a shower and washed the clothes that I had been wearing. Dinner of chicken and rice. Got somewhat organized for the next day. Watched the boys try to conquer the climbing wall challenge without success. They could have earned a dozen donuts. To bed at 9:00 PM. By the way, no significant rain today – a first for us on the trail.

No comments: