Sunday, August 7, 2011

Philmont Adventure - Day 7 - Head of Dean to Ute Meadows



Friday, July 22, 2011

Woke up at 5:00 AM with the crew. Finally broke camp at 7:00 AM. Hiked to Miranda stopping along the way to play Frisbee and enjoy the views. Returned El Guapo. Logistics had told us incorrectly how to return the burro which slowed us down. Got the 2:00 PM slot for black powder rifle shooting. Crew threw tomahawks. I washed my laundry before my turn. Did pretty well ending with sticking a bunch in a row. Christian almost nailed a mini bear. We cooked our dinner for lunch. It rained a bit. Fortunately it did not affect our shooting except we did not get to load the rifles as Uncle was much faster at it and did it to get us done before any more bad weather. Carl nailed his hat twice. I had no idea how I did as my target had fallen over before I had a chance to shoot it. Short hike to Ute Meadows. Boys took a long time to select a camp site. Boys finally chose a good one except that the bear bag cable was far away. Tomorrow’s lunch for dinner. Slowly got camp ready for the night and went to bed. Chris had had a hard day with many things going wrong including a mini bear getting into his Gu which then exploded in his pack and on the map.

No comments: